Pages

Eleven stays afloat in Britain

Eleven stays afloat in Britain

LONDON • Eleven Sports, the self-styled "Netflix of sport", has saved its operations in the fiercely competitive Britain and Ireland markets from closure after reaching deals to offload the rights to Italy's Serie A and continue coverage of Spain's LaLiga.
In December, it emerged that the streaming service, which is thought to have attracted 50,000 subscriptions since its August launch, was unable to attract enough subscribers.
The company, which stopped its pay-TV operations in Singapore and became unavailable on Singtel TV from August last year, attempted to renegotiate rights deals at a much cheaper rate to try and avoid pulling the plug.
It has now concluded talks with IMG, which acts as the agent for Serie A rights, with the Britain and Ireland rights to move to Premier Sports from next month until 2021.
Premier Sports also picked up the rights to the Dutch Eredivisie and Chinese Super League from Eleven.
Eleven has also concluded a new agreement with LaLiga, giving it temporary breathing space to keep broadcasting matches until the end of the season. In the summer, it will have to negotiate another deal.
"The strategic direction we have chosen allows us to focus on LaLiga, which not only drives real value for us in the UK and Ireland but is also a property which we continue to have a valued partnership with in five markets globally," said a spokesman for Eleven Sports, which is controlled by Leeds United owner Andrea Radrizzani.
The Italian businessman said last December that Eleven could not rely on Internet subscribers alone to make its British venture work and is working out distribution deals for his channel.
Eleven said that as a result of the cutback in sports content, existing and new subscribers will see the price of its monthly pass reduced from £5.99 (S$11) to £4.99 from next month.
Last November, it struck a deal with Scottish broadcaster STV to show two live LaLiga and Serie A games a week through its online streaming service. Last October, it was forced to stop its controversial practice of broadcasting European games on Saturday afternoons after pressure from football stakeholders.
Eleven, which had outbid Sky and BT, Britain's two largest sports broadcasters, for the rights that the two companies had previously owned, said that despite the setbacks it is still looking for new sports rights deals.
Endeavour, the Hollywood talent agency which owns Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), the increasingly popular mixed martial arts competition, and IMG hold a minority stake in Eleven Sports UK & Ireland. Eleven, which also operates in markets including Poland and Portugal, is controlled via the holding company Aser, which in turn is controlled by Radrizzani.
Late last year, UFC opted to move back to previous rights holder BT with a new broadcast deal.
THE GUARDIAN



AC Milan miss out on top-four finish despite SPAL win. was hauled down to rekindle Milan's hopes of earning Champions League football next season, but their joy was short-lived as news of
AC Milan miss out on top-four finish despite SPAL win | Free



Man City appeal possible Champions League ban. AFP. European football's governing body in March after claims City had hidden revenue from overvalued commercial deals in order to meet the UEFA
Man City launch appeal against Uefa FFP probe and potential



Spurs beaten for first time in new stadium; Saints stay up by Michail Antonio ensured West Ham United became the first visiting team to win at Tottenham Hotspur's new stadium as Mauricio



Football: Kean scores for Juventus despite racial abuse but Bonucci says forward partly to blame for inciting crowd Football News & Top Stories. Source by THEOFFICALZUKUS used under Creative Commons license.
Moise Kean: Raheem Sterling says Leonardo Bonucci racism
sportypoint.com/moise-kean-raheem-sterling-says-leonardo-bonucci-racism-comments-laughable/
Leonardo Bonucci's suggestion that Juventus team-mate Moise Kean was partly to blame for the racist abuse he received from Cagliari fans is laughable, says Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling. Kean, 19, spread his arms while facing the crowd after scoring Juve's second goal in Tuesday's Serie A win.
Kean subject to racist abuse, Juve teammate Bonucci says he



PARIS (AFP) - Neymar has paid a visit to Brazilian football legend Pele, who has been in hospital in Paris since April 3. The Paris Saint-Germain forward posted a photo on his Instagram account on
Neymar visits recovering Pele in hospital | Sport24



* Everton at Spurs next, Burnley host Arsenal EVERTON 2 BURNLEY 0 May 3 (Reuters) - Everton bolstered their chances of qualifying for next season's Europa League with a 2-0 win over Burnley in the
Everton ease past Burnley to keep UEFA Europa League dream



Here, AFP Sports looks at five things we learnt from the Premier League's final fixtures of 2018. Liverpool's title to lose? The league leaders haven't lost all season and unless City end their
Five things we learned from the Premier League this weekend



Football: Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk and Arsenal's Vivianne Miedema win PFA Player of the Year awards Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk (left) and Arsenal's Vivianne Miedema were named the PFA Players
Virgil Van Dijk, Vivianne Miedema pull off Dutch double in



The power behind the 'baby-faced assassin': Beautiful wife of new Man United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer who met him when they were both football training and their three children who don't even


ǁFacebook:


Soccer Football - Champions League - Liverpool Press Conference - Allianz Arena, Munich, Germany - March 12, 2019 Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp during the press conference Action Images via Reut
Premier League news: Barcelona defeat won't affect Liverpool



DOHA (Reuters) - FIFA President Gianni Infantino said on Thursday that a majority of national soccer federations were in favor of expanding the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to 48 teams.
Qatar would help Middle East peace by sharing 2022 World Cup

0 comments:

Post a Comment